The lower portion of this piece was built from pine substrate and mahogany veneer, circa 1840-60. The client wished to have a hutch designed and built to match the bottom. Original mahogany scrolls were attached at each side of the lower doors, just below the drawer of the base. These hand carvings were duplicated in miniature on the upper sides of both glass doors of the hutch. The glass was cut and leaded at Hander Woodworking. The upper hutch portion is built from solid Honduras mahogany.